Buzzing around Calgary with a birds-eye view seems like a great way to spend the day, AMIRIGHT? Absotively it is.
Giving the gift of a drone for Christmas is a great idea, and I can tell you personally that it’s a super fun toy. But it does come with rules. BIG rules.
For example, you can’t fly close to any of our airports. 9KM radius. That makes sense. But did you know you also can’t fly withing 100 feet of a city street? That means your backyard is likely not an option. You also can’t fly in a park. Yup, no parks.
Here is a list of “DON’Ts” that our friends at Global TV Calgary shared
- Closer than nine km from any aerodrome (i.e. airport, heliport, helipad or seaplane base, etc.)
- Higher than 90 metres (300 feet) above the ground
- Closer than 150 metres (500 feet) from people, animals, buildings, structures, or vehicles
- In populated areas or near large groups of people, including sporting events, concerts, festivals, and firework shows
- Near moving vehicles, highways, bridges, busy streets, or anywhere you could endanger or distract drivers
- Within restricted and controlled airspace, including near or over military bases, prisons, and forest fires
- Anywhere you may interfere with first responders
If you’re giving the gift of remote controlled flight, a basic summary is “no flying in the city”. Now, I’ve flown my Chroma 4K inside the city, and the police have even stopped to see it and ask questions. It’s not like there are drone-cops out there to get you. It’s all about safety. Even with GPS, radio controlled drones can fly away on their own. That can’t be good for anyone, because some simple laws of physics say 2 things will happen for sure. The battery will die; gravity will bring it down. Even if you don’t know where it’s gone.
Do you need a permit? You might!!
Great news though, knowing your requirements to fly a drone aren’t hard. And around Calgary there are some AMAZING places to flying your drone.
Gift Idea – Gift the drone, but also gift a carrying case or fitted backpack. Because that drone will be travelling, before it goes travelling.
This is the drone I have, it is amazing to take some of these pictures